Hello folks. Here we go with some thoughts:
- Well the Travers was sure fun, but man Sunday's crowd on a sunny and hot (but not sweltering) day sure seemed very light. In any event I'll stay with the positive and compliment NYRA with a great Travers Day and a historic dead heat.
- The biggest rip-off at the track is the "Freshly Squeezed" Lemonade. It's flavored sugar water with a big slice of lemon in it. I miss the old vendor who truly made freshly squeezed lemonade right in front of you.
- Last weekend's Arlington Million sure had plenty of Saratoga Jockeys showing up. That was good to see, especially when Ramon Dominguez took the big prize. Damn he had a good eight days there - winning two million dollar races plus many more in between.
- The peaches at the Farmers Market sure are delicious. I don't even remember what vendor I bought them off of, but they sure remind me of this Seinfeld seen: http://youtu.be/P-sfk3PGQDg (embedding was disabled but that will link it).
- It's still sad to see the empty Borders, Beverly's, Grey Gelding - not to mention most of South Broadway (especially the diner). On the other hand, the Bonacios new cinema excites me.
- I want to go to Saratoga Polo - but it's tough to go to the races all day and then want to go see polo in the evening. Too much of a good thing.
- At one point when I wasn't looking the "Toga Tattlers" went from four to three. Did I miss some drama?
- Again when I wasn't looking NYRA changed the 17-minute bell to the 16-minute bell. C'mon NYRA I can't take the volatility!
- What happened to Alan Garcia? Just a couple of years ago he was winning NYRA meets and riding horses in Triple Crown Races - and winning the Belmont Stakes aboard Da' Tara in 2008. In this year's Saratoga meet he has nine wins on 69 mounts - which places him at 13th on the list.
- I think NYRA is way off base charging $100 for the New Owners luncheon. Charge them $20, fill up the room and dare everybody to dream, and consider it a loss-leader for the good of not just NYRA but the whole industry. I think you'd get a lot more potential owners that way.
- Can we come up with an ordinance that says there will be no Halloween items out for sale until after Labor Day?
- Speaking of local laws, the 4am bar closing time issue seems to be quiet lately. But now that I said that there will be three articles on it this week.
OK folks that's it for now. I will be writing something later in the week - perhaps with some news about the future of this blog. Have a great week!