From what I can tell, the Post-Star has abandoned the "Saratoga Snippets" blog name so I'm seizing it! Here's one Saratogian's thoughts snippets for this week:
- Saratoga truly is the August place to be, despite the fact that the track opened on July 20th. I was at the track every weekend since it opened and this past Saturday (August 4th) had a noticeably larger and more enthusiastic crowd than the first two weekends. Well at least that was my perception.
- Hey someone listened to me. Well maybe it was just a coincidence but I suggested a while back that the East Side Deli and Pizzeria (on Lake across from East Side Rec - formerly Giancones) should start selling ice cream, and I see that's just what they are doing.
- I learned the hard way not to cut through the backyard of the track on my way to the preferred parking at the end of a busy Saturday. It was a drunkfest and I was walking through there with my wife at about 7pm after the last race. There were no problems, but it was not the wisest choice on my part.
- That new building on Spring Street next to the Bread Basket sure is going up at a leisurely pace.
- Why do so many restaurants in Saratoga serve Jambalaya? It seems like there are quite a few.
- I've eaten at Panza's/28 Tables twice in the past week or so. The food and service are very good - with extra credit to the calamari and the brussels sprouts appetizers - but being attached to the bar Metro kind of takes away a bit - at least later in the night. I can deal with the loud music and the edgy crowd, but I was there on a Friday night with friends and the toilets were closed due to overflowing. Again the food is good - as well as the "handcrafted cocktails" they seem to take great pride in making - and the kitchen is open til midnight - so I'd give it a qualified recommendation if you are there early enough or perhaps after track season.
- Well that ad for Double Vision on the front page of the Pink Sheet sure does stand out, doesn't it? Doublemint gum, anyone?
- Are those left turn arrows on South Broadway at Lincoln new? Sometimes I wonder if something I perceive as new has actually been there for years.
- Two new fish stores are coming in, and Putnam Market announces they will no longer sell fish as they have done since 1995. That change makes sense, considering the new arrivals will be bringing fresh seafood up from NYC/Long Island on a daily basis. I give Putnam Market credit for selling such quality seafood for almost two decades.
- Saratoga Race Course's first seasonal giveaway sure was nice - those red hats were sharp looking. I was getting a few for some friends who had requested some and when I saw how nice they were I went back and bought some extra tickets to get some myself.
Hat picture from Timesunion.com
There's so much more to write about, but damn I have been busy. This will likely be my only post of the week folks, have a good one.